CenturyLink IT Operations Technician 2 in Weehawken, New Jersey
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) at http://www.centurylink.com is a global communications and IT services company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the digital world. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting, cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband, voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit CenturyLink at http://www.centurylink.com/ for more information.
IT Operation Technician 2
The IT Operation Technician 2 is responsible for providing 24x7 network and system administration support for internal and external customers while providing exceptional customer service.
Provide internal and external customers with exceptional 24x7 customer service support including billable requests and physical security functions.
· Work directly with the customer and/or support staff to Isolate and troubleshoot as necessary.
· Support customer requests through a ticket system.
· Manage and prepare incoming and outgoing customer tape backups/rotations and offsite transfers.
· Assume monitoring role for all critical systems. Provide visibility and support to the Facilities team.
· Follow all Global policies and procedures. In accordance with escalating events in a timely manner to the appropriate team.
· Perform and execute installation/de-installation projects that would include the racking and stacking of hardware equipment, up to and including cage decommission.
· Lifting of hardware equipment required up to and in excess of 50 pounds. To include standing, bending and kneeling as needed to perform this task. Server lifts can be utilized where applicable.
· Responsible for the installation and troubleshooting of all copper and fiber customer cross connects.
· Maintain documentation of network systems infrastructure, cross connects and circuit audits.
· Assist customers with after-hours shipping and receiving if applicable.
· Employee may be assigned to work overtime depending on workload requirements.
· Perform additional duties such as: Monitor and control access to the Data Center, cleanliness and appearance of raised floor (including physical clean-up) and shipping/receiving duties.
· Working knowledge of all OSI layers, TCP/IP model and associated protocols such as DNS.
· Highly effective at troubleshooting Layer 1-3 issues (physical, data link and network layers).
· Responsible for fiber testing, light testing, continuity – Transmit/Receive, DB Loss Level, head-to-head testing.
· Must have working knowledge of tools such as ping, traceroute, telnet and nslookup.
· 2 to 3 years experience with the installation and terminating of CAT5e, CAT6, Fiber (Multi & Single Mode) and Coaxial cable.
· Thorough understanding of TIA/EIA-568 and IEEE 802.3 Ethernet fundamentals.
· Experience in Structured Cabling. Gather customer requirements, design, install, test and document. To include terminating fiber, connectors (LC/SC, GBIC), dressing and terminating distribution panels/patching, rack and stack, physically able to put together server racks.
· Security clearance via Government or other agency background check may be required for customer support.
· Utilizing internal systems (Visio, Remedy, and Vantive).
· Excellent communication and organizational skills are required.
· Strong team player.
Preferred Qualifications :
College preferred not required, 2+ years of operational and technical experience in an IT environment required.
IT Certification such as CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Cisco CCENT, familiarity with BICSI is desired.
Alternate Location: US-New Jersey-Weehawken
Requisition # : 139511
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.