CenturyLink SR IT SYSTEMS ENGINEER in TOWN AND COUNTRY, Missouri
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the world’s best networking company by solving customers’ increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers’ trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
Join a team of engineers leading the application of AI and Machine Learning concepts to CenturyLink’s Managed Services monitoring and event management systems. The engineer will use prior knowledge of monitoring, an understanding of support desks needs, and a vision of how AIOps can help transform the business to help us provide the highest possible value to our customers.
The engineer will exercise significant latitude to translate the needs of the business into system capabilities in the form of system requirement specifications for our monitoring platform. Understand and support the monitoring platform with the ability and expertise to develop overall solution to support the platform direction. Perform research and development activities to support future IT business strategies. Work closely with clients by consulting and recommending solutions.
• Identify opportunities for event correlation using data from Netcool Operations Insight (NOI) in coordination with our support teams.
• Participate in initiatives and projects to develop new and existing monitoring platform (e.g. Strategic IT Roadmaps, Technology Strategies & Roadmaps, architecture positions, enterprise data management and governance)
• Administer monitoring applications and servers
• Identify and create automations that can be utilized with the monitoring infrastructure
• Work with internal compliance organizations to ensure that all applications meet requirements
• Define, asses, and evaluate alternative solutions to ensure alignment with IT strategies, target architectures and IT Standards evolution
• Maintain an accurate inventory of the IT portfolio of technologies, and a disposition status (ex. contain, maintain, deploy, retire) of all business applications
• Develop and maintain documentation for our tools and work with our frontline engineers to ensure they can address most common issues with our platform.
• Provide occasional 3rd level, off hours support for monitoring and event management tools
The Main Responsibilities
Engineer as part of a team of other Netcool and monitoring engineers.
Actively participate in day to day support and project efforts for client environment(s)
Follow and promote the use of CenturyLink global process standards
Participate in cross functional teams to foster collaboration within, and outside of, global operations
Drive documentation lifecycle for client and technology specific areas
Assume ownership of CenturyLink managed services, including both platform and application technologies
Create concise and accurate technical documentation for consumption throughout CenturyLink
Participate and collaborate with operations management teams to provide root-cause analysis for all client outages and failed changes in the environment
Establish standards and thresholds for monitoring and auditing to ensure stable and supportable operating infrastructures
Drive service improvements and efficiencies through the design and development of effective automation
Define the standards and documentation for the installation, configuration, and support of client applications
Review audit and performance results to facilitate proper capacity planning and service management
Participate in an on-call rotation and shift turnovers to other global support teams
Drive for self-improvement in technical and non-technical areas
Other duties as assigned
What We Look For in a Candidate
• Experience with various monitoring technologies such as SNMP, ICMP, syslog, MIBs
• Familiarity with monitoring services
• Experience with scripting, particularly PHP, PERL, or Python
• Linux Administration experience
• Network connectivity troubleshooting experience. Understand network protocols TCP/IP, HTTP, ICMP
• Experience working with databases and writing SQL queries
• Understanding of web services- SOAP/REST
• 5+ working with an enterprise monitoring application to monitor network devices and servers.
• 5+ systems administration (Linux/Windows)
• Experience with IBM Netcool/NOI including an understanding of Scope based rules, and Related and Seasonal events.
• Experience working with data center operations teams
• Experience in managing or supporting a large enterprise network with business-critical applications
• Experience working with third party vendors for application support with emphasis on the following tools: Netcool, SiteScope, SevOne, and Nagios
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent education and relevant experience
• 6 + years related experience
• 4 + years with Master's
Alternate Location: US-Minnesota-Minneapolis; US-Missouri-St Louis
Requisition #: 226602
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.